In this webinar, David Stastny, the Founder and Managing Director of Centaur Partners, discussed evolving industry conditions in technology M&A and equity fundraising and suggested deal-making and negotiation best practices.
With decades of experience advising enterprise organizations through M&A and fundraising activities, David shared insights on how to achieve a high valuation, find the optimal buyer or funding organization, and overcome common challenges that occur during the due diligence process.
From building a strategy to closing with a high valuation, David offered “real world” guidance for the following focus areas:
- The importance of a large Total Available Market (TAM), as compared with a focused, niche or regional "go-to-market" plan with a dominant position
- The best techniques to present your management team's expertise and founder team dynamics to each potential buyer
- How to best convey your technical team's background, unique skills, and prior successes
- The optimal way to position your current product growth opportunity, plus your future development plan to impress the buyer's product diligence team
- How to maximize the value of proprietary IP (awarded and applied for patents, trademarks, etc.)
- How the buyer assesses your executive team, board of directors, and current investor base
- What to expect when negotiating an LOI and then a definitive purchase agreement?
- The best way to negotiate management and employee retention packages, options, and escrow "holdback" with the buyer