How will Microbiome Impact Human Therapeutics? Who’s driving it and why?
The human body and its microbiome live in a symbiotic relationship with each other, and it has long been speculated that one cannot live without the other.
Our interest in this phenomenon combined with an enhanced understanding of the individual players has exploded in recent years, thanks to great advances in genomic and big data analysis. The White House moonshot label has helped focus the effort in bringing academia, companies and investors together. It is now well understood that most of our microbiome is in the human gut as an integral part of our immune system, performing many functions for the well-being of its host – our human body.
Will future advances in deciphering this paradigm provide hope and revolutionize the healthcare industry of the future and help innovate new ways to control disease and human growth, or is this hype going to unlock a Pandora’s Box of issues, which we understand little about now? Perturbation of this ecosystem (10 to 1 bacteria to human cells) could have unknown consequences on the long-term health and stability of the human body – positive and negative. How soon will we be able to harness the power of the microbiome and control it to have a major positive impact on life itself?
The panelists uncover some of these truths and discuss where this new field of R&D is headed. Here are some of the topics and questions the panel addresses:
- Is the real way to a person’s heart through their stomach? Maybe the ancients knew!
- Financial approach and ROI for early and late stage investments into this arena
- Timelines for impact in terms of developing therapeutics and diagnostics
- Advances in the sciences needed to “really” understand what’s going on
- Opportunities and challenges of delving into the human microbiome
- Where is this field headed in terms of pharma and healthcare involvement?
- What partnerships are critically needed between academia, companies, financial institutions and the government?
- Predictions on translation of early successes to therapeutic area
- FDA and the microbiome – friend or foe?
And any questions that you bring up during the discussion ….
Get a Recording of
the web panel
Compared to consumer-grade solutions, ShareVault virtual data rooms offer many features that give you control and document intelligence with the highest level of document-protection and monitoring available. Learn more.